uk marathon

About This Blog

This blog is aimed at promoting and informing on the progress of www.fat-feet.co.uk
Fat feet is a new running event website that attempts to find interesting and diverse locations to host varied running events. Our events include UK Marathons, UK Half Marathons, and UK Ultra Marathons all in fantastic locations. Our races include The Woodland Half Marathon , The Grimsthorpe Half Marathon and the Grimsthorpe Ultra Marathon. Our event at Rutland Water is the Rutland Water Marathon which involves 26.2 miles around the beautiful cycle trail that surrounds the reservoir. We also have introduced The Ocean Floor Race which takes place in Egypt in May 2012 (www.oceanfloorrace.com)
Please go to our main website at www.fat-feet.co.uk to browse through our fantastic events.

Monday 22 August 2011

Interview with Tony Slessor- 2011 Winner of Grimsthopre Ultra 70







The Grimsthorpe Ultra 70 and 105 was a great success and we interviewed the Ultra 70 winner "Tony Slessor" to find out about his experience in the race.

Well done on winning the Ultra 70,.. can you tell us about your experience of the event. Did you enjoy it, find certain parts of it difficult?

Well it wasn't a walk in the park ! But I really enjoyed it, what a great setting for a race. There are no great hills on the course although there were certain short bits where it was better to save energy and walk up rather than run. A good course for someone wanting to go over the marathon distance for the first time. The trick is to only think of the next card punch point and just concentrate on the lap you are on. If you think about the whole distance it can seem too daunting.

Did it get lonely out on the course?
No not really, on the first lap or so there were a few of us running together so had a chat for a while. Later I was feeling good so upped the pace a bit. There was always people at the start / finish area for a chat between laps when I was sorting out drinks etc. It's true what they say about ultra runners, they are all a friendly bunch !
How long have you been running ultras and how did you train for this event?
My first run over the marathon distance was Draycote 35 in Feb 09, the following month I did the Connemara Ultra in Galway. Since then I have done Eco trail Paris twice, Speyside way, Highland Fling and Perth 100K
My training is a bit unique. I work on an oil production ship in the north sea, 2 weeks on the ship and 3 weeks at home. I run most nights on the treadmill during my 2 week stint. I mix it up a bit with speedwork and long runs. 20 mile runs on a ships treadmill in winter can get interesting, plenty of hill work !! Of course the other benefit is when I am home for 3 weeks I can train when I like.

Did you eat much while the event was taking place and if so what sort of food were you eating?
It's an ongoing problem I have, I really struggle to eat during ultras. I used to get really ill in the later stages of races. I am now taking S caps (electrolyte capsules) and I find they have really helped, no more stomach issues. I still stick to energy bars, crisps and bits of cake. At each baggage area stop I took a bar, a gel and drank a bottle of Mountain Dew as well as drinking plenty of water. That set me up for another lap. I couldn't face eating on the last 2 laps though, just stuck with the gels. It's a pity I could not manage the beef stew you put on, it was great by all accounts !

Will you be back next year?

If my work rota allows there is no way I will miss this event. Next year I plan to do the 105, I can't top this year though........but i'll try !
Thanks for putting on a great event Keith, I know it will go from strength to strength. See you next year







No comments:

Post a Comment